Sunday 30 October 2016

INTERVIEW: Why we insist on meeting Buhari – World Record holder & Paralympics gold medallist




Over a month after returning
from the Paralympic Games in
Rio, the physically challenged
athletes that did the country
proud are yet to make the
‘Dream Trip’ to the Aso Rock
Presidential Villa to be officially
hosted by President Muhammad
Buhari.
Regardless of the tight schedule
of Mr. President, many feel
squeezing out little time for the
unsung heroes will be a step in
the right direction even if the
euphoria of a record-breaking
outing at the 2016 Games have
weaned. Nigeria won eight gold
medals at the event.
One of the athletes that braved
the odds in Rio to win gold in
astonishing fashion, Paul
Kehinde, tells PREMIUM TIMES
in this exclusive interview with
TUNDE ELUDINI why he is keen
to see the President. He also
shares his grass to grace story as
a physically challenged athlete.
Excerpts…
PT: Can we meet you?
Paul: My name is Paul Kehinde
(MON). I am a Power-lifter
PT: How and why did you opt to
go into Powerlifting?
Paul: While I was growing up in
the Ketu area of Lagos, I liked
lifting weight like the able-
bodied people; I even lift bigger
weights than them.

In one of those days somebody told me it was
something I can benefit from, so I tried to
follow him to the stadium to see everything
they were doing. I was inspired by what I
saw.
They handed me over to Coach Are who
trained me to become who I am today and I
am very happy because meeting him was very
good for my power lifting career.
I have been going to many trials, winning for
Nigeria at the All African Games, World
Championship, and Commonwealth winning
gold in my category.
I am happy that even at the Paralympics, I
emerged a gold medalist. I thank God for the
opportunity to represent and do my country
proud. I also thank my coach, my secretary.
PT: Will use say your journey to the top was
an easy one?
Paul: It was not easy training, I live at
Ikorodu and I have to wake up by 3 a.m. to
meet up with training at the National Stadium
by 6 a.m.
Discipline is important for success as my
coach usually says. With discipline and focus
one would eventually reach his goal.
I train very hard- morning and afternoon- it
was discipline and determination that made
me keep at it. That’s why it looked like it was
easy.
PT: With the kind of preparations you had,
did you have any fears before going to Rio?
Paul: It was mixed feelings for me in the run
up to the Paralympics. Though we had been
training hard prior to our camping ahead of
the Olympics, some of the opponents that we
were scheduled to meet up were ones we had
never met in prior competitions. This can
cause some uncertainty. But I tried to
encourage myself, saying I had done it before
in other competitions and I looked at it that it
was time to put all training to good use. So I
decided to get over my fear and do what I
knew how to do best.
PT: What is life for you outside your
Powerlifting?
Paul: Currently, the only thing I do is sports.
But it would very helpful if the government
can reward us and one can start a small
business and gain means of livelihood.
A lack of employment opportunities is what
causes people with disability to resort to
charity or begging but we would also like to
be self-sufficient.
Imagine someone who broke the world record
twice but doesn’t have money in his pocket or
is even unable to buy a car. Winning a medal
is for glory, not only for myself but also for
my country and it would be nice to get
rewarded in some tangible sort of way.
PT: Can you let us into your family
background?
Paul: I am from a polygamous family where I
have seven siblings but I am the only person
living with a disability.
PT: How do you feel that even though you
are the only disabled among your peers you
are better known across the world due to
exploits in sports?
Paul: I feel very great because God has
already written everything down; it is part of
my destiny.
My disability had made it that I would be
looked down upon especially in a large family
where no one else shares my challenge but
God works in mysterious ways and has made
my name well known all over the world
despite the challenges. I have faced
intimidation here and there but the will of
God has surely come to pass. I thank God
today that I am counted as one the best in my
chosen sport.
PT: Growing up, how was it?
Paul: It was challenging because a lot of times
they could not look beyond my physical
challenge. There were some things I wanted
to do, things that I felt I could do despite the
physical disability. So growing up it was a
normal thing to be left out by family, friends
and colleagues in school. It used to make me
angry because I felt discriminated (against),
but I thank God that all is now in the past.
Everyone wants to be associated with me
because of what has happened. I will be
forever grateful for my mother’s support
before she passed on. At first she wasn’t so
keen on me doing power lifting but when she
saw my perseverance, she decided to support
and sponsor me. Unfortunately, she is not
here to see my moment of glory but in spirit I
know she is with me because every time I get
on the podium to collect another medal I
remember her and all efforts over me.
PT: Are you married or have immediate
plans?
Paul: Right now, I have a fiancée who has
been very supportive. It is not always easy to
find a woman who stays with you despite all
odds. I will like to have something substantial
before I marry her. I do not want a situation
where people like her family members or
friends would tell her, didn’t we tell you not
to marry a disabled person.
PT: It’s over a month since you came from
Rio, have you been told when the President
will host you?
Paul: We have not been told when the
President would be receiving us and we are
praying hard over it. Like I said earlier it
would be nice if we are rewarded. Not only
would it help us tremendously, it would also
serve as motivation for us and others who
look up to us. After I won the Commonwealth
Games, it was dreams come true when I was
given the national award MON. This was my
first Paralympics and I wanted something
good to come out of it and I am still hopeful.





No comments:

Designed by Anyinature